Kula Maui Mokka Coffeetm
At approximately 1800 ft elevation, Kupu Hou Permaculture Organic Farm, LLC specializes in growing and processing Kula Maui Mokkatm, a boutique variety of coffee with a 1000 year old lineage. To our knowledge, we are the only farm growing this rare and 100% USDA-certified organic coffee in the world.
Kula Maui Mokka Coffeetm is grown sustainable in shade under reforested Hawaiian Native trees. The extremely small bean, which is only one quarter of the size of typical shelf varieties, necessitates hand-picking and careful meticulous hand-processing. Most conventional coffee plantations use machinery. Overtones of chocolate and roasted caramel characterize the delectable flavor of Kula Maui Mokkatm. This boutique bean and the labor intensive production create a delicious and worldly one-of-a-kind cup of coffee.
Artisan coffee processing, step by step:
- Selective hand-picking of the best cherries. Picking these cherries by hand takes 5x as long as picking traditional sized beans.
- The cherries are then pulped with a hand cranked machine, separating the outer cherry hull from the bean.
- Cherries are discarded by hand that did not pulp by the machine.
- Parchment beans are then fermented for 12-18 hours in water, then rinsed clean with water.
- Parchment beans dried down to the correct humidity.
- The bean parchment layer is then removed by a hand operated mechanical hulling process.
- Green beans are dried in the sun down to ~12% humidity.
- The dry green beans are then rested and stored in humidity controlled environment for 6-8 weeks before roasting.
- Our roasting is done in maximum 1 pound batches, allowing for optimal control. Additionally, our roasting is done exclusively with PV off-grid or Net metering solar power.